earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

I was probably 14 years old when we had our very first TV set. National was the brand, B&W, 14" (an inch for every year of my existence), and remote-controlled. My Tatang would order me to change the channel, I rise from the floor and change the channel -that’s how it was controlled remotely. That TV defined somewhat the person that I am now. I am a Celtics fan because it was then when the 1974 NBA Finals was shown and they were champs. It was the first time I watched a series of any kind. Although Kareem’s sky hooks were deadliest then, I chose to root for the winning team.

'Eight Is Enough’ made me want to have a big family of my own. Now I have 2 kids but raising them was like raising 8.

'James At 15' made me promise myself, I will learn how to swim. We didn’t have a swimming pool then (and now). My Tatang was too busy farming rice he didn’t have time to excavate. I enrolled in MILO when I was 29. Promise fulfilled.

'Batman & Robin’ made me want to wear my undies over my pants but Inang would not allow me.

'Combat' made me hate the Germans. Now I love BMW, Bosch, Adidas, Nivea & Paulaner. This hate die wasn’t forged.

Now, I hardly watch TV except live sports and when casting Netflix or musical shows on Youtube. I have better things to do than to be influenced by an idiot box. Wait, do they still call it that?

Here’s to those 'Wonder Years.’ Cheers!

#MyCafeNotes

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this, brings back good memories for me too... altho I don't watch much sports then, its my Dad and brothers who do... But am familiar with the other TV shows you mentioned "an inch for every year of existence" "My Tatang would order me to change the channel, I rise from the floor and change the channel -that’s how it was controlled remotely. " what a delightfu read ... hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jojang Aguas thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember MASH & Hogan’s Heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oland David MASH I watched, too. Hogan's no baka kasi mali ang ikot ng aerial antenna namin at hindi maganda ang reception. Eh pahirapan pa naman ang pag-ikot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oland David final episode pala 1971. Wala pa kami TV. Btw, all eps are in youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Espn Ren Hogan’s? Try it, it’s a spoof Euro WW2.

    ReplyDelete