earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Monday, January 18, 2021

I share what I know. This basically is the substance of the pep talk I gave to a group of young professionals a few days ago. It was short. No prepping needed. I was wearing shorts, a simple round-neck tee and an old pair of crocs. So did my audience. The group was holding its annual planning in a hot spring resort thus warranting the attire.

Since my last count, less than 1% of the total population knows about lighting -much less about computer-aided lighting design. This actually was a setback when I was starting out 10 years ago. I sounded Greek whenever I explained technical terms. Then, like a light bulb over my head, I found the solution: teach them. If people started to understand my language, then my work becomes easier. And better appreciated. Since then, I made it a point to teach at every opportunity: color temperature vs. color rendering, illuminance vs. luminance, lumens vs watts, contrast vs. uniformity, tibia vs. fibula, and many more enlightening subjects. After all, a candle loses nothing by lighting another candle (Fr. James Keller). It was the industry itself -not the academe that gave me this knowledge since there was no school that offered it then. It’s my way of giving back.

Perseverance did it for me. Story of my light. I am delighted! Cheers!

#MyCafeNotes #toespinlighting

5 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. I need schooling too. I think my house need some lighting transformation . It’s a little dark. Maybe you can give me some recommendation on what kind of bulbs should I buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julieta De Jesus Chi-ongJanuary 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM

    Elmer Montemayor same here, i feel i need to change my lightings we need Ren Espn's expert idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elmer Montemayor Julieta De Jesus Chi-ong seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m serious. I need some professional advise from an intelligent classmate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elmer MontemayorJulieta De Jesus Chi-ong see PM

    ReplyDelete