earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Monday, April 19, 2021

E-book or paperback? A million-paged question.

I wanted to buy a Catholic Study Bible online and was just about to when I found myself at a crossroads. The online store sells both format. I made a comparative analysis:

A real book offers the OG feel of reading -licking a finger, flipping pages, smelling the pages every now and then, bookmarking creatively, warding off insects, keeping crisp bills crisp, battery-free reading, among others. But I can’t share it with others without giving it away. I can’t read without light. Pages can be torn out.

The e-book offers reading at any desired font style, size and color, multi-tasking is easier when using the same phone or tablet or desktop, multiple device, multiple user (I can share or give away without losing a copy), read without ambient lighting. But I can’t use it to kill a cockroach and if not charged, can’t do any reading. People who see you reading will think you’re spending too much time on FB, IG or KD on Netflix.

The latter offered a free sample for testing so I took it. The former has not sent a single page for trial.

I know the Good Book tells not to pass judgment but I will soon have to make one. In order to avoid being judgmental, I’ll just toss a coin. I could flip a real one or use an app. Oh dang, crossroads again.

Cheers! #MyCafeNotes

8 comments:

  1. Life’s million choices

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is indeed about choices wc we have to make

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get both formats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Epay Lara if I have as much money as you do, maybe I will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew is now allergic to paper (real books)... as in it can trigger an asthma attack for him. hence it was a humbling experience for him not to be able to do what he loves doing -- read, read and read some more! Thank God for technology slowly he was able to rebuild his library with Kindle...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have'hundredssss' of books on my shelves, but since the pandemic (it's now a year!), I have decluttered umpteenth times! And still a lot on my shelves .. calling Goodwill!!! it's time to go Ebook!!!!! Go Ren Espn ! Thank God for Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go with the times, Net. I have a whole library on my phone, super convenient

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicky C. Ortiz looks like the coin has landed on this side up.

    ReplyDelete