earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

If my life’s foundation is made of concrete, then failure is one of the main composites. Let me share with you two episodes in this excitingly boring life of mine.

One. I was an innocent subject to the effects of institutionalized corruption. I failed the licensure exam for Electrical Engineers. There were 3 subjects: Electrical Engineering, General Engineering and Math. I got 90s in the first 2 but in Math, my favorite subject, I got a 69. I thought this can’t be. I was confident I got all problems right because right after, my friends and I chewed over and analyzed each and every problem. I got them all right!

In all the schools that I’ve attended from elementary to college, I’ve never failed or repeated a subject. Not a brag, just a fact. I knew I had to do something. Equipped only with guts and shaky nerves, I went to the office of the Professional Regulation Commission in a brave attempt to fight the unbeatable foe. I was showed my Math papers with a red mark of 69. They were not my "official" papers but SCRATCH papers! And wow, I thought, my scratch papers scored 69! I asked that I’d be allowed to see the Math papers of those who made the top 10 list. Not granted. Those were the days when exam papers were allegedly switched because no names were written on the exam papers -only seat numbers. I took the next “remedial” Math exam and breezed thru it.

Later in life, I learned that school grades are not foremost in forming a child’s character especially when we homeschooled our children. Christian values are. Thankfully, I rebounded from that failure.

Part two is business failure. But that’s for tomorrow.

For now, cheers! #MyCafeNotes

14 comments:

  1. And the plot thickens... Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reng David-MorelosMarch 3, 2021 at 9:01 AM

    But you more than acquitted yourself on your second take by landing among the top examinees. One proud sister in law here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reng David-Morelos thanks but it wasn't me, tho who landed on top 10. It was Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abangan... we all experienced failure in life. Behind every successful venture is probably 100,000 failures... it helps form character too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Derrick Pan EspinosaMarch 3, 2021 at 9:04 AM

    How about a Part 1.5 on the homeschooling / forming of a child's character, tito? Love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Derrick Pan Espinosa Tita Rissa will give you a seminar as long as Madi is present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes everyone experienced failures in life...on my 50's , I wasn't granted a driving licence here in the UK not until my 5th actual driving exam! Imagine that! It was so frustrating and embarrassing! But after every exam I failed, I promise to myself, I wont give up, not until I have that "pink driving license". And its worth it! After my 5th attempt, I got it at last! It was 13 years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gaudi Awid Barr it took me 2 tries to get mine in Saudi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vangie T Bajada yes, its different in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Espn Ren I was take 3 before I got my license here. First failed because I went around a muddy pothole (I just had a car wash then!). 2nd because I took a left turn with an oncoming car a kilometre away . Haaayyy. Is there something about the name Rene and EE? A few (including my hubby) with the same name have the same background

    ReplyDelete
  11. Malene Bunag haha -destiny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't see that you failed? The moment that you fight for your rights and believes in your capacity only shows that you are a winner. I heard this from my brother in law that " you can never put down a good man" and i do believe in that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheri Mendoza TorresMarch 3, 2021 at 9:13 AM

    Totally agree that school performance is not a determinant of career (worklife) success.

    ReplyDelete