earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2021

He approached me as I was washing my car, crossing the street from their house fronting ours. His little hands were greasy, one holding a piece of thick bacon, while the other tried to reach out for mine. He couldn’t mutter a word with his mouth so full. The little boy that I’ve not seen before wanted me to bless him by taking my hand and pressing it against his forehead in the Filipino tradition of Mano Po. He caught me by surprise because I am sure the 3- or 4-year old scrawny little lad was just a visitor who probably thought he saw in me someone he knew from before, like a dead grandpa or an old kindergarten principal. Maybe. I don’t know.

But I obliged. Not by giving him my hand but by just placing my hand on his head and said, "God bless you."

I’m pleased that he did because it’s been a while since someone, family or stranger, dry or greasy had asked for one. This pandemic has taken this tradition away from many of us. Kids and younger people just blow a kiss or do an air Mano Po when they see older people. I’m saddened because for me, Mano Po is one of the best traditions of Filipinos showing respect. I hope that when this is all over, the good old traditions will come back. And we all can embrace each other again.

To all my readers that I respect much and pray for everyday, Mano Po!

I raise this cup to you all. Cheers! #MyCafeNotes

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful reflection, as always! Mano po!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers! Mano po!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina Ealdama CamachoMarch 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM

    Physical distancing rules have made us appreciate this tradition even more....missing the hugs, pat on the shoulder, hand on hand praying, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arlene Abando-CadeliรฑaMarch 11, 2021 at 9:04 AM

    Cheers! Your Cafe Notes always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arlene Abando-Cadeliรฑa thanks, Arlene!

    ReplyDelete