earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Monday, March 1, 2021

Calculated Risk. I had to switch proposals while the City Mayor wasn’t looking.

Working in a multi-national, I submitted a proposal to the good mayor worth millions for a sports stadium project that the city government was building in preparation for an international event. Problem was that the prices I quoted were incorrect, below actual cost. The sooner I switch, the better chances I get without him or any of his team finding out.

Now you have to understand that this Mayor was well body-guarded with bulky men carrying long firearms. He once asked me who was taking lead in his project for the lighting supply. I told him it was me. "Oh good," he says, "I just need to know who to shoot if something goes wrong!" He said that in jest, I think. Or I chose to think so but still, his bodyguards were present when he said it. One word, one gesture, I’m done.

Also, he offers coffee to his visitors and pours and serves it himself. That, dear reader, was the factor in my calculated risk.

I went back to his office a day after I gave him the incorrect proposal. It was fastened to a brown folder parked on a tray right in front of where I sat. All throughout that day before the meeting, I was praying for only two things to happen: one -that he offers me coffee, and; two -that if he didn’t, the world ends right then and there.

"Coffee, Renรฉ?" Hallelujah!!

"Yes, Mayor. Thank you. 10 sugars and 12 creamers, please" The longer he makes the coffee, the more time I have to execute the mission.

Right then, like in many events in my life, the sound track of Mission Impossible began playing in my mind. He turned his back towards the bureau where the coffee machine was set up to fix his and mine. I immediately reached for the revised proposal, took the folder, unfastened the old, made the switch and replaced the folder. All in under 29 seconds!

When he turned back to serve me the coffee, I was already wearing my sunglasses -a la Tom Cruise. Mission accomplished. The deal was signed.

Warning: Kids, please don’t try this at home or anywhere else. Unless you have carefully calculated the risk.

I raise this cup to risk takers. Cheers! #MyCafeNotes

7 comments:

  1. oh my! hindi niya napansin iba yun price? i would have fainted ... at least mission accomplished though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intense! I was sweating. Kape pa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristobelle PanganibanMarch 1, 2021 at 9:02 AM

    I'm a highly imaginative reader....I can see the expressions and really like watching a scene from a movie in my head!! ... That, is what we call the "ninja moves"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cristobelle Panganiban

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galing! I was sitting on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mission impossible look alike indeed. That was so cool! Who is your mayor now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elmer Montemayor this happened when I was still with Philips. That good Mayor passed away already. I do not live in the same city anymore.

    ReplyDelete