earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Monday, February 22, 2021

Travel contributed a fair portion of what and who I am today. It stretched my horizon, literally speaking. When I was 29, I went on a backpacking holiday in Europe alone. Backpacking is the word used by travelers who cannot afford hotel accommodations. If you read between the lines, you get my drift. A segment of that adventure took me on a Eurail ride from Paris to Madrid with 5 other passengers in the same cabin with 6 beds. The trip lasted more than 12 hours (overnight). We were a small United Nations in that cabin: a French, an Arab, a Swede, a Spaniard and me. It was one fun ride for me because I speak little of all their languages. I speak ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ค̧๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜ด because I self-studied it just so I could get by being a tourist in France. I speak a bit more Arabic because I worked in Saudi for five years and I picked up 5 years worth of the language. I speak ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฆ ๐˜š๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ฌ because I worked in a Swedish company and worked with Swedes in Saudi. And Spanish, ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฐ, because I watched ๐˜ฟ๐™ค๐™ง๐™– ๐™๐™๐™š ๐™€๐™ญ๐™ฅ๐™ก๐™ค๐™ง๐™š๐™ง.

We had world events and world peace on our conversation plate for most of the time, missing sleep. Plans were also laid out in case the sun finally explodes and we’re stranded in total darkness. Words to that effect.

We are to be blamed for what the world is facing right now because of the decisions we made during that train ride.

It’s really a small world. We just have to communicate best, which requires listening to understand one another.

Here’s to world peace. Cheers! #MyCafeNotes

4 comments:

  1. Pang Ms. U Mabuhay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another delightful read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina Ealdama CamachoFebruary 22, 2021 at 9:02 AM

    Traveling alone.... Takes you out of your comfort zone and opens up a wellspring of unique experiences and learnings that you would have never known...we certainly hope to be able to travel again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sol Mariรฑas SauraFebruary 22, 2021 at 9:03 AM

    Miss Congeniality peg: What matters the most to you? World peace. That must have been a real pretty good ride around the world! Will encourage Angelo to go on a backpacking holiday!

    ReplyDelete