earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2021

When my sibs and I were kids, we were cruel to one another. We called each other nasty nicknames -probably normal to many families. Allow me then to introduce, in order of appearance:

Our eldest, the kuya (Leonido), was called 𝘼𝙥𝙚𝙣𝙜 because his two big front teeth made him look like Apeng Daldal, a Filipino comedian during the ancient times;

Next (Isagani), 𝘽𝙪𝙩𝙞𝙠𝙞 (lizard) because he was so skinny, he could be swept by a strong wind and get stuck on the ceiling;

Me. I was called 𝘽𝙪𝙣𝙞 (ringworm) because, obviously, I had them like tattoos on my skin;

My twin brother was called 𝙆𝙖𝙗𝙪𝙣𝙩𝙤𝙠 (Big-headed) not because he had a small head, duh; and finally,

Our only sister (Marites), the youngest, 𝙆𝙪𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙖 because it was the most dreadfully ugly name to call any girl that time. She bore most of the childhood mischiefs we committed. Whenever an older brother would pick on me, guess who I’d pick on for revenge? The one who offered the least resistance. Yep, Kulasa no less.

One mischief I still remember because every time I see her, she’d remind me of it: she was gifted a walking doll for her birthday -the only one she had as a child. Before the cake candles were blown, the poor doll was beheaded. Kulasa became Sisa for a long while, naming her headless doll, Basilia.

But it’s her birthday today. I will be less cruel.

I love her because I can see our mother in her: simple and humble, with a happy disposition; would sacrifice herself for her children; resilient and tough esp after losing her husband. She’s the princess in the family and remains to be so, having no other choice.

We have grown to support one another because that was how we were raised. The fighting and the bickering -that’s just to spice up our young lives so that one day in the future, one of us will write about it.

Dear sister. I know I am old, but I can still sing this song for you:

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘰𝘢𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨

𝘞𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘢 𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯

𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘴 𝘶𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦, 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦

𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘐’𝘮 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨, 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘦𝘯𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘳

𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘪𝘯’𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘺 𝘴𝘩𝘦’𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳.

Cheers to your day, Marites! You are loved much by your demented oddballs.

#MyCafeNotes

30 comments:

  1. To your one & only sister! God bless you, Maritess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...what a bday greeting...so blessed dra Tess! HAPPY HAPPY BDAY PO..KEEP SAFE ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramdam bro. Happy birthday to your princess sister. That song reminds me of my Tatay too who played it sa karayom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noli Vicedo karayom?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phonographs Hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again, Rene. Happy birthday to Maritess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy na Birthday pa kay Tess. God bless her more

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday Ate Marites Espinosa Talag ... God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so touching, and so sweet Ren Espn ... Your sister is so blessed to have you (and her other siblings)... Happy birthday po!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday, Marites Espinosa Talag . Be blessed with many more. Cheers I can totally relate to the name-calling. I was the ugly, middle child, buck-toothed girl whom my pretty older sister fondly called, drum roll pls... ta-dah... "Apeng", yeap just like your Kuya. I remember Apeng Daldal as the Jim Carrey of our time, yeah right! Reading this suddenly made me reflect, "Have I been a good sister to my siblings?" Tomorrow is a new day to try to become a better one. Thanks, Ren Espn for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicky C. Ortiz ateng Apeng! haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicky C. Ortiz wait, there's more! Tita Dedee and my Inang both have Jan27 as their death anniv.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Espn Ren , yeah when I saw your reflection honoring Imang Ilang, I said a prayer for her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Tess! Godbless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheri Mendoza TorresFebruary 4, 2021 at 9:14 AM

    Blessings, Kulasa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gina Ealdama CamachoFebruary 4, 2021 at 9:15 AM

    Nice story, Rene! Now I can't sleep coz I want to remember all the weird and funny names that we gave to my 8 siblings !!...Happy birthday to your sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gina Ealdama Camacho haha. I want to know what name you called Jack GE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marites Espinosa TalagFebruary 4, 2021 at 9:17 AM

    Thank you my dear bro Ren you made my day, bumalik lahat sa aking alaala ang ating kahapon Thank you my big bros.Apeng ,Butiki ,Buni and Kabuntok for treating me as your little Kulasa till now kahit 58 yrs old na ako. Grateful and blessed to have you bros for your love and support ,I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marites Espinosa TalagFebruary 4, 2021 at 9:18 AM

    Tenor

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ramon Monteclaro SawitFebruary 4, 2021 at 9:19 AM

    Happy happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ramon Monteclaro Sawit did u see my comment in yesterday's reflection?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday Marites. God bless you for surviving 4 oddballs of brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Tess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was a good story. I suddenly missed my sisters who passed away. Thanks for sharing Rene.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Abby Morelos-DequitoFebruary 4, 2021 at 9:24 AM

    Happy happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cristobelle PanganibanFebruary 4, 2021 at 9:25 AM

    Happy birthday po!!! She's the dentist ba? If my memory still serves me well at your age...I mean...my age...

    ReplyDelete
  27. yep. you ain't that old naman. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy birthday Tess

    ReplyDelete
  29. Luth Perez-MarasiganFebruary 4, 2021 at 9:29 AM

    Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete