I’ve been living a lie and there’s not much I can do about it. This has something to do with some specifics of our birth. You might think that my twin brother and I were joined in the head and when separated, it had affected my brain severely that is why I think this way. You are gravely mistaken and should beat yourself in shame. You hurt my feelings. Here, in fact, are the lies:
Lie #1: in my birth certificate, my birthplace is Dinalupihan, Bataan.
Lie #2: we were born 12 hours apart.
If my parents were to be believed, we were born in San Fernando, Pampanga. All my other sibs were born in our house and birthed by my father’s midwife cousin. With the midwife probably untrained to assist in twin deliveries, they decided to go to the nearest hospital in SFP. We were born only 45 minutes apart. Since we were fraternal, my mother had to go thru another labor after I was born. The clerk may have typed in "pm" instead of "am" after working overtime that day. No Starbucks yet to keep her awake.
Every time I fill out a form asking for a birthplace, I have to write the lie written on my birth certificate and on my passport. So the next time you see me pausing with my eyes closed every time I fill out a form, understand that I am praying for forgiveness.
But these are just documents and they don’t rule or control or define my life. They just fill spaces in the forms, nothing more. They don’t even buy me plant-based burgers! My life may have started with a mistake but the rest of it doesn’t have to be. They’re not even my fault -faults committed more than 60years ago. I’ve endured everyday not by thinking about the past, but by looking forward into the future. And living one day at a time.
Cheers to letting bygones be bygones!
#MyCafeNotes

Ren Espn my first born was born in Lubao Emergency Hospital but my late Father asked his Kumpadre working in the municipal office to register her, so her birth certificate state that she was born in Luacan, Dinalupihan ,Bataan, as she's growing up I keep on telling her the story so that she's not confused but she's happy that she's from Bataan even by paper only .
ReplyDeleteIt was only when we were about to get married and Bong needed a copy of his baptismal certificate that he found out about his other real names: Martin Hector Nolan
ReplyDeleteThat’s not a big deal compared to mine. I have 7 siblings and they were all born in the house since we had a family friend who was a midwife. I was the only that was born in the hospital. I discovered when I got my birth certificate that the MALE box was checked. . The HR in ADB where I was employed was the one that noticed it. So I had to go to a lawyer for affidavit to state that I am female. Thank God my mother was still alive that time to attest that I was born female. Also, my name stated is only Rubi and not Rubirosa that I was using till college. That’s why my name looks weird. Hilarious .
ReplyDeleteRubi, buti na lang you did not have an identity crisis
ReplyDeleteRissa Espinosa Oo nga.Lasing yata yung nurse na gumawa ng birth info ko . I wonder if I was switched .
ReplyDelete