earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Nearly 4 years ago, I had an angioplasty. It’s a procedure where a small mesh tube called a stent is inserted in the narrowed area of the artery 𝘦𝘯 𝘮𝘪 𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘻𝘰́𝘯. Prior to that, I’ve been missing heartbeats several times a day -double whenever I see my lovely wife, pressure on the chest that felt like a towel was resting against it. When the symptoms persisted, I consulted a doctor. I was wired for 24 hours where my BP, heartbeats, and the Tokyo Nikkei index were monitored. Treadmill and ECG, too. Findings: NORMAL! Fit as a bull!

But fit my foot cos the symptoms persisted. Plus pain in my nipples and sternum. The last time I felt pain in my nipples was during puberty. I’ve heard of a second childhood. But second puberty? What’s next, hair on my chest?

Instead of believing the results of the tests, I listened to what my body was telling me. Back to my cardio doctor. This time, he suggested a Stress Echo -an exercise that brings you close to a heart attack! Results: Blockage! Where and how severe can only be determined by yet another procedure, angiogram, which later revealed I did have 80% blockage somewhere in the left ventricle 𝘥𝘦 𝘮𝘪 𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘻𝘰́𝘯.

In the family, I was most unlikely to be in a heart mess. I don’t eat meat that much, I’ve never smoked, never a regular drinker. I regularly run 3-5kms. "Because your body is made of substandard alloys!" I was told during my cardio-rehab. I was also told that I will likely have another one in 10 years, as most of the patients had. I told myself 𝘺 𝘮𝘪 𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘻𝘰́𝘯 that we’re not going back there!

And so I studied about this disease. In my extensive Google research, I found out that a strict plant-based diet can even reverse the effects of atherosclerosis (search for Dr. Esselstyn). So I went vegan in my first year after the procedure and vegetarian since. I’ve also been running 5kms twice a week and do weight workouts like I’m fighting Pacquiao next week. I will defeat this disease! And that’s coming 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘥𝘦 𝘦𝘭 𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘻𝘰́𝘯.

Cheers to victory!

#MyCafeNotes

14 comments:

  1. Cheers to good life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t stress out too much classmate. Take your corazon to Boracay or Cancun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elmer Montemayor if u send me a ticket, 𝑣𝑜𝑙𝑎𝑟𝑒́ 𝑎 𝐶𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑢́𝑛.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvin Espinosa IzonFebruary 9, 2021 at 9:04 AM

    Stay healthy and fit po....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvin Espinosa Izon thanks Marvin Espinosa Izon. You, too. Panay kain mo ng masarap, eh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvin Espinosa IzonFebruary 9, 2021 at 9:06 AM

    Hi po kuya Ren pag free meal lang po nakakatikim ng real food hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. cuida tu corazon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chelle Crisanto Por supuesto, gracias

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noli Me Tangere El Filibusterismo deja ala luna verme luz tranquela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hermie Morelos e qa mamaco, e mu qu lalacuan. e ca manangis, mibalic cu naman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hermie Morelos Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hermie Morelos bwahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete