earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2021

When I was in HS as a cute freshman or maybe sophomore, I got a card from someone who did not identify herself. I assumed it was a girl because it was then unthinkable for someone on the fence to make such a bold move. And during the ’70s, there were just a few.

The card was signed "One Day in Your Life", which was then a popular song by Michael Jackson. No name. No signature. The card made its way clandestinely into one of my notebooks. It wasn’t one of those "Monito-Monita" thing where you get to play secret Santa to a participant everyday until the big reveal at the Christmas party. I would have recalled. But no. It wasn’t Christmas time. It was a no-season hand-made card.

I never got to know who the person was but I remember the song’s lyrics that include a line that says, "You’ll remember me, somehow." And this proves I still do. I remember being appreciated by someone, maybe even admired from a hidden distance.

I just hope that if by any chance you or any of your accomplices gets to read this, this I say: You may happen to have a secret crush on me then or copied discreetly in one of our Math exams and the card was your way of expressing yourself in thanksgiving -or otherwise, I thank you. Up until now, 48 or so years after, I still get that kilig feeling thinking about it.

Here’s to you, MJ fan.

Cheers! #MyCafeNotes

8 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure there were many of them girls falling for you and your irresistable charms who had such good taste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jojang Aguas yup, they fell. They failed in Math.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I got a couple of them notes just like that too. One in HS and one in college. But I figured they are probably for initiation into the sorority, cause, they definitely will go nowhere with my math tests. Happy Sunday bro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noli Vicedo Baka sa Arts nangopya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gima Solano MendozaJune 27, 2021 at 9:04 AM

    Hindi mo naman classmate si Ate Rissa Espinosa ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gima Solano Mendoza Rissa went to STC, an all-girls school. Mine was an all-animals school in Bataan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gima Solano MendozaJune 27, 2021 at 9:06 AM

    Espn Ren I was just joking.. .Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina Ealdama CamachoJune 27, 2021 at 9:07 AM

    You made me think about all those secret notes in HS that I got so paranoid about ...and then tore into a thousand pieces because I thought someone was stalking me

    ReplyDelete