earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2021

40 Cheers!

I was in a wedding 40 years ago today as one of the secondary sponsors to the bride and groom. Although the groom is my brother, I cannot recall now why I became a sponsor because I neither paid for the cost of the wedding or reception nor gave money to the couple. Yet I was one, broke as a shattered tempered glass of a cheap cellphone. Don’t tell them but I still owe them a wedding gift.

Nearly two generations ago, there are just a few details that I can still recall:

-There were as many priests as there were wedding guests. The wedding mass was concelebrated by half the entire congregation of the #OblatesOfMaryImmaculate (#OMI). My future sister-in-law’s beloved πΌπ‘šπ‘Ž̂ (mother), who was an honorary Oblate, invited them all to make certain the wedding pushes thru.

-I was the candle sponsor. I must have focused so much on the light that day that it didn’t depart from me anymore. That light still shines brightly in my lighting design business today, #ToespinLighting.

-Above all, with that same light, I met my future wife, Rissa, who happens to be the bride’s first cousin. Although it took another 13 years before we tied our own, it was the start of my heart beating for a reason. Where do I begin to tell the story? I begin on that glorious day 40 years ago. One thrilling story was sealed with God’s blessings. Another begun. In a place worthy of such.

Without Gani & Gigi, I would not have met my own lovely bride. I would not have Andre, my chief barista and Nikkei as my children. And I would not have this perfect barista-grade coffee to enjoy.

Happy 40th anniversary, Gani and Gigi. My family is forever indebted to you.

Forty cheers! #MyCafeNotes #40thWeddingAnniversary

18 comments:

  1. And you would not have met your wife's amazing cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epay, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Epay Lara … and would not have experienced the hospitality of Lara hotel in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Epay Lara kasali ako sa 'wife's amazing cousins!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary to koya gani and ate gigi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gigi Velasquez-EspinosaSeptember 12, 2021 at 9:05 AM

    Thank you very much, Net for today's #MyCoffeeCupReflections, the BEST so far! Hahaha Thanking the Espinosa family for the love, support you have extended to me & the VEspis - always there for us. Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gigi Velasquez-Espinosa agree! The best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniv. Po Kuya Ate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Espn Ren, and you get to have me as your sister in law hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Espn Ren , gracias

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well written Net/Rene! You could compile a book of all your stories whether the subject is coffee or otherwise. I enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patricia Ramos thanks. Am glad you read them, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 40th kong Isagani and wife, Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And you eventually met (not long ago) another of your wife’s cousin (nakiki singit sa kuwento) . Enjoyed another candid yet meaningful coffee cup reflection. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary to Gigi and Gani !! They are truly blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What goes around, comes around. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete