earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

NIKKEI INDEX UP BY 1

I rarely crave specific foods, and even when I do, I wouldn’t go monkeying out of control if those cravings weren’t satisfied. Going further back in time, this may have been instilled in me early in life, growing up in a poor family. I spent my childhood without the latest toys, fancy shoes or clothes, or even hand-me-down Geiger counters.

Even now, as a married man, when my date asks me where I want to eat during our Saturday breakfasts, we usually end up at one of my favorite restaurants: “Caw?” “Sanmutype,” or “Caitsaan.” Sometimes, we even end up at “Qungsanmoora.” They have branches nationwide. Drop my name, you might get an extra discount.

But life has a way of giving you a treat, even when you don’t ask for one. Somehow, The Creator knew what my heart truly desired. Let me unbox that for you:

After my son, Andre, was born, and when my wife became pregnant again, people would ask, “Would you prefer a baby girl this time?”

I would always say, “A healthy baby, boy or girl.”

That may have been true. I would have been delighted with another boy or a beautiful baby girl. I had no preference.

But God knew me better than I knew myself.

On this very day in 1997, God heard the silent sigh that came from my heart. He blessed me with a lovely daughter! I really wanted one, after all.

We named her Nina Kristin (for when I ask her to do her chores), and nicknamed her Nikkei (for when I’m asking her for a favor).

That day, my unspoken craving, my inner desire, was finally satisfied: I had a daughter!

I have a daughter! Today is her birthday, and she’s giving us a treat.

Happy birthday, Nikkei, my dear.

67 comments:

  1. Happy, happy bIrthday, dearest Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday God bless you Nikei!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marites Espinosa TalagAugust 18, 2026 at 9:03 AM

    Happy blessed Nikkei, you are truly the best daughter your parents could ask for!We love you dearly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Nikkei! Be blessed always and enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Nikkei.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Nikkei

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Nikkei Espinosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julieta De Jesus Chi-ongAugust 18, 2026 at 9:09 AM

    happy birthday Nikkei

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday blessings Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, Nikkei

    ReplyDelete
  13. Millie Ann T. BordonesAugust 18, 2026 at 9:12 AM

    Happy birthday Nikkei! More blessed and wonderful years ahead of you

    ReplyDelete
  14. May you be flooded with many blessings dearest Nikkei ...Happy Birthday!!! love yah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gina Ealdama CamachoAugust 18, 2026 at 9:14 AM

    Happy Birthday to your lovely Nikkei !! May God bless her abundantly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Nikkei! Wishing you all the best on your special day

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gigi Velasquez-EspinosaAugust 18, 2026 at 9:16 AM

    Happy, happy birthday to the Ninang of the Espinosa apos! God bless you more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday Nikkei, may your day be as bright as your smile!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rosendo Fondevilla GambaAugust 18, 2026 at 9:18 AM

    Happy birthday Nikkei. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marilou E. HormigosAugust 18, 2026 at 9:19 AM

    Happy birthday, Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday Nikkei!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Luth Perez-MarasiganAugust 18, 2026 at 9:23 AM

    Happy birthday To your beautiful daughter Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gima Solano MendozaAugust 18, 2026 at 9:24 AM

    A blessed & happy birthday Nikkei Espinosa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday, Nikkei ! Enjoy God’s blessings

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy & Blessed Birthday Nikkei! God bless, All the best and enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Have a joyful and blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Birthday Nikkie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cristina Sanchez GalvezAugust 18, 2026 at 9:31 AM

    Happy birthday, lovely Nikkei! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Maria Asuncion Garcia CruzAugust 18, 2026 at 9:32 AM

    Happy Birthday Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beng Victoria-RemollinoAugust 18, 2026 at 9:33 AM

    Happy birthday pretty Nikkei Espinosa, have a blast

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Birthday! Nikkei

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy birthday Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Birthday Nikkei! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Birthday putot

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy birthday iha, be blessed greatly in all areas!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Israel NuevaorlandaAugust 18, 2026 at 9:39 AM

    Happy Birthday, Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Bless you Nikkei.. always! GIPHY

    ReplyDelete
  41. Happy Birthday Nikkei

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello! Happy Birthday, our dear Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hydie Guansing DelalamonAugust 18, 2026 at 9:43 AM

    Happy birthday my Alaga God bless

    ReplyDelete
  44. Happiest birthday blessings, Nikkei. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Happy birthday, Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Menchie Virrey-BorbonAugust 18, 2026 at 9:46 AM

    Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  47. Irene Lanuza CandelariaAugust 18, 2026 at 9:47 AM

    Happy Birthday Nikkei! More love ,joy & blessings on your birthday

    ReplyDelete
  48. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Happy birthday , Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Jose Limcaco Quito Jr.August 18, 2026 at 9:50 AM

    Happy Birthday nikkei

    ReplyDelete
  51. Happy birthday Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Happy birthday Nikkei Espinosa ⚘️

    ReplyDelete
  54. Happy Happy Birthday Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Happy birthday Nikkei, you don’t know me but I knew your dad since high school. He’s the kind of guy that would make everyone smile, the kind of smile you have. He’s the kind of man who would never give up in achieving his goals and that is in you too. But the good thing about your dad is that he would never trade money for his family and I hope you have that trait too coz families are important. Lastly he loves God that’s why he’s blessed. I pray that you would follow the steps of Jesus all the days of your life and I assure you, goodness and mercies will follow you. Enjoy your special day! By the way, that was a spectacular picture. I’m so curious why there’s a bride and groom in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Elmer Montemayor hi Elmer. Firstly, are you sure it’s me you were describing? Secondly, The Stage in Shanghai is a famous 360deg obs deck popular among newly weds. We were there in the hope of getting invited to the reception -massive fail!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Happy birthday Nikkei Blessings always GIPHY

    ReplyDelete
  58. Happy happy birthday, Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Josephine Izon ValdepenaAugust 18, 2026 at 10:00 AM

    Happy Blessed Birthday pretty Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Happy birthday, Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Karen Gapero EchagueAugust 18, 2026 at 10:02 AM

    Happy blessed birthday Nikkei…

    ReplyDelete
  62. Happy Birthday Nikkei!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thank you for all the greetings, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Happy Birthday Nikkei! Best of blessings

    ReplyDelete