Every time a really heavy rain falls, floodwater builds up in the small space between our kitchen wall and our neighbor's tall concrete fence, then seeps into our kitchen. I'm not entirely sure if the government has anything to do with it, apart from the property contractor apparently taking inspiration from its flawed flood-control projects. I can almost read their minds: "If the government can do it badly, we can do it even worse!"
So I hired one of my brother's workers who is an all-around skilled dude whose resumé includes waterproofing narrow spaces between kitchen walls and neighboring tall concrete fences. Yes, that specific.
For about six or seven (6,7
) rainy days, the project seemed to work well. But when the next monsoon arrived sooner than expected, the flood control couldn't control the flood anymore.
Instead of reporting the anomaly to Sec. Vince Dizon, my mind pivoted to self-preservation: I'll do this thing myself. I summoned my lower back, and my joints to cooperate. My mind too. This was as much mental as it was physical.
For four consecutive days, I was a man of grit, valor, and brawn.
My son, Andre, even asked, "Dad, why not have the waterproofing specialist redo it instead of doing it yourself?"
I told him, "There is one thing that other people cannot do that only I can: do this with a heart."
And yes, mi gran corazón worked!
No more puddles. No more mopping. No more worrying whenever the rain comes down hard.
The heart did it.
Fast-forward, or rather, backtrack 32 years.
Thirty-two years ago today, my queen and I made vows to each other. I may have forgotten the exact words, but I remember the promise: that with God's help, I would do everything in my power to protect my queen and our future family with all my heart.
Heart.
For 32 years, that has been my story.
And for all the years still to come, it will be the same heart.
Shut up, joints and lower back! We've got this covered.
Happy 32nd anniversary, my Doe-a-Dear!
Te quiero mucho.
P.S.
One day, we were alone in the house. While I was doing my thing in the dry kitchen, Rissa was listening to her favorite podcast with her AirPods on.
I let out a loud, proud, warm fart that shook my chair.
"Did you say something, dear?" Rissa asked as she removed one AirPod.
"Yes, dear."
"What?"
"Um... Okay ka lang diyan?"
Yep! 32 years strong...

Happy anniversary Rene and Rissa
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary, Rene and Rissa! May the good Lord grant you many, many more joyful years of come...
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary mga Igsuon!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary po
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary more brewed coffees to share every morning, love you both dearly GIPHY
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary, Plend and Kumpareng Inaanak! May God continue to bless your walang hanggan!
ReplyDeleteHappy, happy Anniversary to both of you! Cheers!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary. Love love love
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary to an amazing couple like you both!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary po
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary Rene and Rissa More happy and healthy years to celebrate God bless your family
ReplyDeleteGIPHY
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary! GBU Always & 4ever .
ReplyDeleteHappy honeyversary to both of you! May the Lord continue to bless you and your family with love, joy, peace and Rene’s Dad jokes
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary! More blessed and wonderful years ahead to both of you
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteHappy 32 years of loving togetherness
ReplyDeleteHappy 32nd Anniversary to Rissa & Rene! Love deeper, grow stronger! May you be blessed with many, many more to come! GIPHY
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappiest anniversary blessings, Net and Rissa. Cheers
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you Rissa & Rene! Happy Anniversary!!
ReplyDeleteGIPHY
ReplyDeleteAs usual, another great write-up or "honoring article"! Happy Anniversary, mga kapatid! God bless your all-loving hearts today and for the many more years to come!
ReplyDeleteBlessed happy anniversary po
ReplyDeleteGIPHY
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary tito Net and tita Rissa! i think tito can write a book of short stories. I always enjoyed reading your posts/messages… maybe because it always have a heart in it enjoy your day po! Sana magustuhan po ni tita ang gift mo
ReplyDeleteAndrea Monica L. Talag-Espinosa haven't you read my book?
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary po
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary to you both
ReplyDeleteMore happy anniversaries to u both...
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary! Love love love
ReplyDeleteHappy blessed anniversary to a loving couple!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary, lovebirds!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary
ReplyDeleteThank you again, everyone! We feel the love.
ReplyDeleteSalamat sa inyong lahat.
ReplyDeleteCongrats koy happy wedding aniv
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary
ReplyDeleteGIPHY
ReplyDeleteLol, that was a funny story. Happy anniversary you guys. You’re the best couple. You complemented each other. You’re a great husband and father Rene. I’m sure your wife deserves the best attention and treatment from you. Enjoy your special day. I should have called you when I have the same flooding issue with my house in Michigan years ago.
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteWishing you a happy anniversary God bless
ReplyDeleteAng galing mo po talagang magsulat Bro Espn Ren!!! Happy Happy Anniversary to both of you! Stay in love forever Sis Rissa Espinosa and Bro Rene!!! Salute to both of you!!!
ReplyDelete