earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2024

THE RETURN JOURNEY

If someone hikes up a mountain and, upon reaching the summit, begins descending, they’re heading back -back to the base, back to where it all began. It’s a journey home.

Indulge my caffeine-fueled brain for a moment...�

My dear Inang lived for 27,814 days. Her halfway point, day 13,907, was December 31, 1964. I had just turned five years and 18 days old.

On that festive New Year’s Eve, nearly 60 years ago today, my beloved Inang was, in a way, starting her descent -her journey back home to the Holy Father. If her life leading up to December 31, 1964, was about climbing and living, everything after that was her graceful return. Her return to Him. Her goodbye journey.

Of course, there was no way for me to know this. I was just a little boy. I couldn’t read, couldn’t write, and certainly couldn’t sit (or squat around our 'dulang,' that low-level dining table) and sip coffee to reflect on life as I do now. No one told me she was leaving -returning -to where all good souls go.

Had I known, even as a child, I would have loved her more openly. I would have obeyed her without hesitation. I wouldn’t have laughed at her when she put on lipstick or sprayed her hair, wanting to look more beautiful for the dance with dear Tatang at the barrio Glorieta. I would have stayed by her side more often, listening to her stories of the Japanese occupation. I would have held her hand more tightly during her battles with asthma, whispered more words of love, and cherished every moment.

Today would have been her 98th birthday. Not a day passes without me thinking of her. I try to keep her memories alive, savoring the moments we shared. I pray my own old age never robs me of those precious memories -the ones that keep her gentle spirit close to me.

Oh, by the way, unless I live to be 130 years old, I too am on my way back. Every passing day gets me closer to my own journey's end. And I realize there are others dear to me on the same path.

I miss you, dearest Inang. I love you more than words can ever express.

This cup of coffee, I raise to you. Cheers to you, always.

12 comments:

  1. Missing Inang and her quiet ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gigi Velasquez-EspinosaDecember 4, 2024 at 9:01 AM

    Love you, Inang Ilang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the gift of life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marites Espinosa TalagDecember 4, 2024 at 9:03 AM

    We love your our dearest Inang Ilang. You are always in our hearts, continue to intercede our prayers and petitions to our Lord Jesus as we pray for you and TatangD for your eternal rest. Love you always dearest Inang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cnong Ibang Ilang? Me namatay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda, Inang Ilang is my mother-in-law who passed away in 2003.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rissa Espinosa ay sorry.tagal n pala cya expired.whats her Christian name is Ali ko sa Poor Souls list ko I pray for in 30 day novena monthly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her name is Leonila. Thank you for praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosemarie Johnson HerreraDecember 4, 2024 at 9:09 AM

    Heartfelt beautiful words, Ren! Made me think of my own Mom! Thank you for sharing. May they both rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosemarie Johnson Herrera Thanks, Tootsie. Enjoy white Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosemarie Johnson HerreraDecember 4, 2024 at 9:11 AM

    Espn Ren yes, thank you!

    ReplyDelete