earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2024

THE BEST OF ME

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." -Col 3:23

Lately, I’ve been training almost daily, working hard to improve my golf swing -and, in the process, up my game. My family is starting to raise eyebrows, suspecting I’m sandbagging my rounds -just so I don’t have to treat them to that seafood dinner if I ever play my best round. I am not fixing my game. I am training for the Olympics. This is for the glory of the country, people.

I’ve also been putting in extra effort at work. As a lighting designer, I’m committed to making my firm the absolute best in Asia, and on this side of the galaxy, and securing a legacy for future generations. My descendants will thank me when they’re basking in the glow of well-lit skyscrapers, churches, sports stadiums, and golf courses.

Like a possessed workhorse, I even find time to wash and wax the car and clean the house. Not just for the family, mind you. We’re expecting a visit from the Pope. Yep, the Pope. I want the place looking spotless when the Holy Father knocks on our door.

Okay, maybe not.

I am too old for the Olympics, my company is not in any competition -not for the longest drive, not for the best in anything. And the Pope -he doesn’t even know I exist.

So why am I putting myself through all this? It’s not just about pushing myself for personal gain or glory. It’s about going beyond my own limits and striving for something greater. Sure, I want to improve, to challenge myself, but ultimately, it’s not just me, or for me.

I play, I work, to offer my very best to Someone far more deserving. My efforts, my dedication -these are my offerings to my God and Savior, Jesus Christ. And in doing so, I find a deeper sense of purpose and fulfillment that transcends personal achievement -even when at times too many, I fail miserably.

Happy Sunday, champs!

Cheers!

5 comments: