earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Tingi-tingi Mentality

Is there a country outside of the Philippines where one can buy a piece of candy, a stick of cigarette or a sachet of toothpaste good for a day’s use? The last time I checked when I was abroad and was in need of paracetamol, I couldn’t buy just a couple of tablets -they all come in packs.

There are obviously some advantages in this 𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘪 or sachet mentality especially for those who can only afford little but isn’t that in itself a pitfall? A friend in the industry once told me that since there is a venue for Pinoys to work for just a day, earn for just a day and buy for just a day, they’d take it. And opportunists and business sharks take advantage by feeding them with sachets, with grams and with milliliters instead of boxes, kilograms and liters. Wonder no more why people sell their votes for P100. Perfectly content even for a day.

This is a wild thought and easier written or said than done -what if we remove 𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘪, will people dream bigger and work for something bigger? For a month’s supply as opposed to a day’s? Build a grocery store instead of a sari-sari? Travel by plane instead of a tricycle? Pinoys aren’t the most natural fit for change. But I could be wrong.

I am still sleeping. Dreaming. My coffee, please.

Cheers! #MyCafeNotes #TingiMentality #SachetMentality

4 comments:

  1. Gima Solano MendozaAugust 5, 2021 at 9:00 AM

    Wala akong masabi....kasi maliit pa lang ako ay pwede ng bumili ng konting suka, toyo, Patis, at cooking oil at mga kendi at iba pa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having initiated sachets myself n downsizing, bitesizing, the poor are penalized by paying highest prices per gram, per fluid ounce; mfrs pass on higher costs of tingi. Vendors charge more per unit, sigarilyo, medicol, suka, mantika o ginebra. Indonesia, poor asia, same. Economies borne on the backs of 1kahig1tuka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri Mendoza TorresAugust 5, 2021 at 9:02 AM

    Very accurate!! And sad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opportunism? true on one side, but isn’t the reason for tingi in the Philippines the fact that those products which are sold in smaller sizes and single quantities become more affordable that way? Here in the U.S., I sometimes lament the supersized commodities and the buy-in-bulk mentality. I am of the opinion that both the tingi option and the supersize / bulk option have their advantages. I sometimes grab only 2 apples, 2 bananas, 2 pears, and a small pint of blueberries so I get a good variety of fruits (and also knowing such dont stay fresh for long), but will readily grab a 48-pack of toilet paper when they’re on sale or a BOGO deal on ice cream

    ReplyDelete