earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2021

@23

The year I turned 23 was 1982. If you’re 23 now, you may need to know that 1982 was way beyond World War II. I was employed as a design engineer and even if I was supporting no one financially, it was a huge challenge to afford going to work everyday. Daily expenses -bus/taxi fares, lunch, coffee breaks and hair growers were exhausting my paychecks before I got them. I couldn’t even afford buying a new watch which I needed then because my old one couldn’t keep up with time -I was always late for work.

So I started applying for jobs abroad as a dancer, massage therapist, splitter of atoms and as an electrical design engineer. Lucky for me -and for the other companies I applied in, I ended up in Saudi as a lighting engineer. By the time I turned 24, I was already on my own, cooking mostly decent and edible, doing laundry and ironing that I hated most. Thanks to some Pinoy families who adopted me as their pet, I sometimes got to eat more decent meals.

I made big and small decisions that gave rise to the person I am now. One instance when the company car issued to me consumed more oil than gas, I decided to buy my own - a second hand Mazda. I was given allowance per km of travel to projects sites which were mostly beyond 120kms away. With the allowances I received, I was able to recoup what I paid for the car and sold it at the same price I got it for. Good deal, eh?

My life’s third decade became my training ground for the life ahead. It was the time to make unlimited dumb mistakes and risky moves -I gave my self that.

That was then. This is me now -a bald coffee drinker!

Cheers! #MyCafeNotes #Turning23

10 comments:

  1. You were using hair growers at age 23?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vi Brigado not really. Haha. Pa-literary epek lang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri Mendoza TorresSeptember 4, 2021 at 9:02 AM

    Espn Ren dami ka pang buhok nun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheri Mendoza Torres yup. Miss those bangs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vi Brigado u didn't fall for the massage therapist as well, did u?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Espn Ren Nahh. Yung dancer, pwede

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good and lite read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. reminiscing the what and where, the what -should -have -been and what- should -not -have -been... must add to the baldness!!! ... love you Net!! Tenor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chelle Crisanto buti na lang lamang ako ng 2 paligo dito . Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cristobelle PanganibanSeptember 4, 2021 at 9:09 AM

    You were only 24 when we met you in Saudi???? Wowwww!!!! I thought you were older!!!! Ohh but me and Kuya grew up having you part of our family till Project 8 ...

    ReplyDelete