earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Friday, September 24, 2021

Are You in the Right Job?

Are you in the right job or business? I asked myself.

You may think my nuts are roasting in an open fire that at 61, I still ask myself this question. At this age, matters of retirement, pension and arthritis are supposed to occupy my mind. True that but I am still in the thick of things -I still run a business, I’m learning new skills, I still do short and long term plans. I see nothing wrong in asking.

I do have an answer but first, what if I’m not? I could have been an actor.

When I was in Bangkok the first time in 1986 as a tourist, my tour guide told me that with my good looks, I could be a movie star in Thailand. I believed him. My mother did, too, when I told her the story. Looks and charm, maybe. Guts and spunk, no. I viewed my confidence vs. competence curve as inversely proportional. Also, there were things private that I wanted to keep private. So, pass. I knew then I’d be passing the chance to perform before royalties, eat unlimited 𝘵𝘰𝘮 𝘺𝘶𝘮, and make a lot of Bahts! Baht no thanks.

It wasn’t meant to be. Although I did a cameo acting part in a local TV series, that was the start and end of my sparkless show biz career.

I got into the lighting design business for all the good reasons -not only for me and my family, but also for those whose lives, that through it, were made brighter.

Yes, I am in the right job because it’s one of the things that drives me to get up every morning. But I’m not in my #Ikigai yet, I think. I am still working on that one. But for now, I’ll make this day nothing short of brilliant.

Cheers! #MyCafeNotes #whatif

1 comment:

  1. Let your light shine, that’s your ikigai.

    ReplyDelete