earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

No Space in the Fridge

Why is the refrigerator always full? It’s been one of the mysteries that the modern world has not been able to unravel. At least in my household. This problem remained even if we’ve upgraded from a one-door fridge, then to a two-door and finally, to one that has 16 doors and drawers -just a slight exaggeration there but you know what I mean. It is never enough.

It didn’t do any good even after I’ve made it illegal to stow shoes and raincoats inside the refrigerator. It’s just that everyone feels guilty throwing away left-over foods. So much hunger in the world, y’know. So in the fridge we store. But when the same food dried up and hardened or got spoiled or covered with mold, then it is thrown away without remorse. And when that happens, a new space is then made available for the next left-over food. First in, first out. That’s the unwritten rule.

We’ve made big steps towards beating this baffling predicament, though. At least once a week, Masterchef Rissa takes out whatever is still edible, waves her magic spatula and turns them into an ensemble of throwback delish. If after then, we still have left-over left over, that guilt may return but we don’t care anymore. The big time pleasure of looking at the wide spaces in the fridge trumps all guilt feels.

Cheers! #MyCafeNotes

14 comments:

  1. Arlene Abando-CadeliñaAugust 3, 2021 at 9:00 AM

    Relate much! Jumer even bought a BIG freezer , as if we have a business for frozen foods! Still , puno pa rin! Hahaha Cheers to more space for our ref and freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlene Abando-Cadeliña - same here Team Cadeliña.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one bro. Relate here. Sa tagalog ang fridge could be "Bulukan" too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reng David-MorelosAugust 3, 2021 at 9:03 AM

    So true! A solution I found is to give leftovers to the garbage collectors who go around 3X a week. But alas there are still days when I find it still full. Haaay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dati pre pandemic, saya nung labandera pag uuwi na siya from a day's work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reng David-MorelosAugust 3, 2021 at 9:06 AM

    Noli Vicedo , same here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheri Mendoza TorresAugust 3, 2021 at 9:07 AM

    Same predicament in the Torres household with 3 refs (one for each unit) and still no space because of leftovers or over supplying Just like Master Chef Rissa, I also have my recycling magic and a ‘we will have leftovers tonight!’ line

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gima Solano MendozaAugust 3, 2021 at 9:08 AM

    I think the best way is to check the meals to be prepared, see how many are eating so there will be not much leftover food....sayang kasi kung walang pupuntahan, di ba?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly, I cling wrap left overs then throw it away after few days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leftovers are precious to me. Actually when I cook, I make sure there’s leftover. They’re my saving Grace for days I don’t want or can’t cook and we have to eat at home. I’ve managed the leftovers that I hardly throw away anything. I don’t cook everyday so I can have some free time. I also don’t stock my freezer. I go and buy (regardless of item being on sale) what I will be cooking. I’ve never had to throw away freezer burned meat anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Malene Bunag great meal management! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Espn Ren a necessity when one has to do everything by himself…. No alalay

    ReplyDelete
  13. For us two, we find that we dont need storage for anything besides resto dinner leftovers hoping to get recycled the day after for lunch.

    ReplyDelete