earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Monday, January 25, 2021

Monday mornings, my man-friends and I start each work week sharing our thoughts on the day’s Gospel reading. We used to do this while having breakfast in a resto or a sports clubhouse where one is a member. These days though, it’s breakfast sharing online.

Today’s Word is about St. Paul’s conversion story so we shared our own journey with the Lord. I didn’t have a dramatic metamorphosis of sort to tell but I was reminded of my first travel to Saudi when I was 23 years old. It was my first time to travel out of the country but before the travel, we were given all sorts of whats and what-nots when entering that country. Among them, all Christian religious items such as bibles, crucifixes and rosaries are forbidden. But I didn’t know anyone there. No friends. No relatives. No dogs. I knew there was one Friend that I can take with me -Jesus in His Word (…And the Word was made Flesh). The Bible.

At the airport, I knew that I will be frisked from head to toe, shoulder to shoulder, neck and crotch. The challenge is where to conceal a book that measures about 10cm x 15cm x 2cm. My luggage was opened exposing old and worn out socks and underwear. Nothing of interest there. I wore a hooded jacket that a cousin gave me because it was nearing winter time then. I placed the Bible inside the hood hanging behind my back. I was frisked everywhere else my body but my upper back. All these happened while the theme from the old Mission Impossible TV series was playing in my mind.

I got through. With my Bible and a rosary. Going into the desert, my Friend didn’t desert me.

Sometimes in life, you have to take calculated risks.

Cheers to the nerves!

#MyCafeNotes

7 comments:

  1. Indeed never will He desert, He is our faithful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're one brave boy. Galing mo! Si Lord rin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I salute you for your bravery, grabe!!! And your Friend did not abandon you, I'm glad He's my friend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, I was able to squeeze a Bible and rosary and OLPH novena sa Eastern province.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this story! Ang galing... "Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name. When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them." ~ Psalm 91:14-15

    ReplyDelete
  6. indeed a story worth telling...again and again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A testimony of God’s love and protection. Cheers God’s loyal and brave disciple!

    ReplyDelete