earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2021

120+kms of city and country roads and highways, across 14 towns and cities, over 3 hours. Nothing unusual about that drive, yet. But wait, there’s more: ZERO honking the car horn. Yup, not even a single, lonely beep-beep.

I drove south to Laguna yesterday morning to give a motivational talk to some young professionals who had no idea the kind of person they’ve invited -but that’s for another cup. Maybe tomorrow. We’ll see. This, for now…

Before driving off, I told myself and the car I was driving that I was going to test my patience by not hitting that part of the steering wheel for any reason, at all:

If a crazy stupid driver cuts me off, I will ignore. If I hit my horn in anger, he’d just drive away anyway and will probably forget about this poor guy behind him while I keep my anger for the next 5kms. Like I’m giving him permission to control my emotions. I lose. And lose more precious hair still thinking about him. Useless.

I will stop. I will slow down. I will give way, if necessary. I will not ho-ho-horn.

But for some reason for the entire stretch, there was absolutely no 'opportunity' that came along. Not even a temptation. Or a stray cat. I guess sometimes, life offers you what you’ve prepared for.

Here’s to practicing more patience. Cheers!

#MyCafeNotes

6 comments:

  1. Indeed, patience is a virtue, brother. That must be a great drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sol Mariñas Saura thanks. It was a chill mid-morning drive. From Balintawak to Calamba exit, 52 mins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourites yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Ren Espn ... Hope more people will do what you just decided to do .... Beautiful reflection...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jojang Aguas thanks.

    ReplyDelete