earth run: father and son

earth run: father and son

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Final Drive In My Old Reliable





After 17 years of service to my family, I am taking my old Honda Civic for a final spin to its new owners guided by my own emotions I was trying to control. The drive from our village to Waltermart where we, the buyers, the middleman and I agreed to do the big exchange, was a sad one. Short. And sad. I wanted to make it longer, enough to recall all the good and the less-than-good times with this old baby. The red lights at the final crossing helped. Memories came back to me. Funny thing though -good memories remain good, and bad memories turn better when you look back at them. 


If this old machine can talk, she can tell you the story of my life. She has seen everything: 
  the kids growing at the back seat, then later behind the wheel taking control; 
  my hairline receding, then later altogether disappearing; 
  the family singing Don Moen songs on the way to kindergarten, 
        then sleeping on the way back; 
  the kids petty bickering at the back seat when they were small, 
        and the major bickering at the back seat now that they are bigger;
  André testing the car lighter on Nikkei when they were curious juveniles; 
  Nikkei relentless talking at the expense of André’s ears;
  Rissa fighting off sleep to keep me company during long drives;
  Rissa giving in when the call to slumber is stronger;
  me fighting off sleep;
  André saying, "Go Bataan" every time we drive past Balintawak;
  running on empty from Tagaytay to Sta. Rosa;
  the breakdowns just right in front of a motor shop in Dau and in Binondo; 
  the overheating in Baguio at a public place where water flows freely;
  the EDSA traffic then, the EDSA traffic now;
  the father and son car wash;
  the kids’ elementary and high school graduations;
  my Inang’s funeral.

I did one final Psalms recitation as my own prayer of thanksgiving. I almost cried a tear between Roosevelt ave. and the parking area. Almost. 

This is too melodramatic. Enough already.
It’s been days now since. I’ve learned to move on.
A bit faster. Actually.
And in better style. Actually.
I am smiling.
Pero miss ko pa rin ci vic.


No comments:

Post a Comment